Download a printable version here.
What is Drain Protection?
Drain protection is a commonly used term for methods used to prevent hazardous substances getting into the stormwater system.
Why do I need to protect my drain?
Most of us would probably have no idea the complexity of the drainage systems below us. However, in most urban areas, run-off from the drains we work around, eventually flows into rivers, lakes or into the sea.
In most areas of New Zealand, this run-off isn’t treated before it is discharged into these environments. Therefore, any hazardous substances that go down the stormwater drains at our worksites, could quickly cause serious harm to fish, animals, plant, and birdlife. Even small spills can have a wide and devastating impact.
Using effective drain protection will prevent contaminants from causing this level of harm and keep them within your area of control.
Are there different types of drain protection?
Drain protection comes in two forms: either as a filtration device that captures contaminants while allowing clean water to pass through, or in the form of a complete seal that prevents all liquids from passing through.
Drain Warden | 22-1009
A very simple yet effective measure for preventing silt run-off and rubbish from entering the storm water system. Leave inserted as a short term collection device. Very easy to fit - just cut to suit your drain size. Easy to service.
- What are Drain Warden’s made of? A tough geo-textile that captures fines and solids, while allowing clean water to flow through.
- What sizes are available? Just the one, which can be cut to suit your application.
- How to use a Drain Warden: Download our instruction guide here.
- Are they reusable? Yes, for a limited amount of time. While they can be washed out, the nature of the fabric will eventually become clogged with fines and need to be replaced.
Storm Sentinel | 22-1010 / 22-1011
The adjustable catch basin. A self-supporting unit that sits out of sight below your drain grate, the Storm Sentinel is one of the most effective ways of preventing sediment from entering the storm water system. The oil absorbent media inside ensures that small hydrocarbons spills are captured on the way through also.
- What are Storm Sentinel’s made of? A tough geo-textile that captures fines and solids, while allowing clean water to flow through.
- What sizes are available? Round and Square – with adjustable sides that can be positioned to suit your application.
- How to use a Storm Sentinel: download our instruction guide here.
- Are they reusable? Yes, but only for a limited amount of time. While they can be washed out, the nature of the fabric will eventually become clogged with fines and need to be replaced.
Spill Berm | 22-1007
Fast protection for when a spill is headed right for your drain – just place it in front of the spill, to securely contain the liquid. Ideal for applications such as spill response, temporary secondary containment and sealing of doorways during wash down.
- What sizes are available? One – a 3m length, but you can easily join multiple lengths together to form a longer barrier.
- How to use a Spill Berm: Simply unwrap from its protective packaging and strategically position around the perimeter of the drain or unit that you are looking to form a barrier around.
- Are they reusable? Due to their strong polyurethane construction, the Spill Berm can be washed and if placed back into its protective packaging, can be stored ready for use again.
Drain Protector - Nitrile | 22-1012 / 22-1013
Economical drain protection made easy. A valuable addition to any Spill Kit, this cover has great resistance to oils, petroleum’s, and mild acids.
- What sizes are available? The Nitrile Drain Protectors come in standard sizes of 600 x 600mm and 1000 x 1200mm. Custom sizes are also available from Hazero.
- How to use a Nitrile Drain Protector: Download our instruction guide here.
- Are they reusable? Yes, as long as they remain flexible and are kept clean.
Drain Protector - Polyurethane | 22-1000 / 22-1001
Ultimate protection, reusable time and time again. A solid but flexible material that gives you an unbeatable seal against the harshest chemicals. Reusable, reversible and environmentally safe.
- What sizes are available? Two – a 600 x 600mm and a 900 x 900mm.
- How to use a Drain Protector: download our instruction guide here.
- Are they reusable? Due to their strong polyurethane construction, the Polyurethane Drain Protectors can be washed and if placed back into their protective packaging, can be stored ready for use again.
Drain Protector Storage Case | 22-1022 / 22-1018
Keep your drain protector visible, accessible and clean. Clearly labelled and constructed from UV resistant PVC. Note these are specifically for the Polyurethan Drain Protector seals.
- What sizes are available? Two – one to suit the smaller 600mm Polyurethane Protector, and one to suit to the larger 900mm version.
- How to use a Drain Protector Storage Case: Simply place your Drain Protector into the Case and place in close proximity to vulnerable drains.
- Are they reusable? Yes, as long as they can be kept clean and undamaged.
Which workplaces need drain protection?
Any worksite that stores or uses hazardous substances, and have drains that are exposed to these substances, and aren’t protected by an existing filtration or trade waste system.
Creating safer working environments
At Hazero our mission is zero hazards. Our extensive range of quality products will help you store, contain and control and clean-up dangerous goods and hazardous substances.
View our full range of Controlco Drain Protection here.
Need help creating a safer working environment? Contact our team today on 0800 688 844 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Our team are also available for on-site assessments across New Zealand, click here to request a site visit.
Content above falls under the Hazero Disclaimer, for more information click here.